Re: [OT] Railway software

"MattyQ" <mattyq1009@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>Peter Dwyer <peter.dwyer@qr.com.au> wrote in message
>8lft5h$6hu2@inetbws1.citec.com.au">news:8lft5h$6hu2@inetbws1.citec.com.au...
>> Well it doesn't even have diamonds! Burn the heretics!  :^)
>
>TD3 will have them.

It's amazing we still have so many left, as you know the future
trend is for more 'switchable' diamonds, AKA points.

>> I found I couldn't do a few of the more 'denser' urban style
of
>> interlockings.
>
>It's possible but big and messy. I have been able to build
every yard in
>Brisbane on TD2 but have had to doctor many things up to
conform to its
>limitations.

That's why I want to see a sneak of TD3... havn't seen a mention
at their website, only what you've been saying.

>> As it was their first release of an editor, I thought they
did a good job,
>> it worked as advertised.
>
>I agree. It's the only commercial signalling simulator where
you can build
>your own layouts. There is a free program called NXSYS which is
a sim of the
>New York Subway signalling system. It is more a demonstration
than a game.
>Still there is the availability to build your own layout but
you must be a
>signal engineer to do it. (Peter and Ian, now that I've piqued
your
>curiosity, go to http://www.beanpaste.com/BSG/nxsys.htm )

I've saw NXSYS a while ago, looks good if you want to sit down
and build it all by hand, except it had a requirement for train
stops for each signal. There were still some bugs, but it's been
a while so I'll pop back in.

>> Now, if I can only customise release 3 to look like the
premier Train
>> Control System - UTC!
>
>The biggest minus about UTC is that it runs on IBM OS/2. If it
were windows
>based, I believe a "game" could be produced from it. You could
almost market
>a UTC training program as a game!!

I always say that that's its biggest plus. No BSOD's at peak
hour in Brisbane (Well, workstations do occasionally need a
reboot). System reliability has been paramount for a long time,
and NT was never that crash hot as a product.

The UTC interface is very easy to learn how to use, uses more
than four colours :) , and there's no scrolling around on the
screen, it's all there in front of you. Busy areas like Mayne
and Roma St have two screens for the controller.

It'd make a great game if I could work out how to do the
animation :)

Seeya!

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com