Re: [OT] Railway software

"Peter R K" <peterrk@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Can anyone give me the title of any software used for designing
railways
>i.e. simulations, games, etc?
>Thanks in advance.
>--
>Peter
>"Chaos, panic, disorder - my work here is done."

There's Track Builder which is the partner to Train Despatcher 2
and both can be obtained from http://www.signalcc.com . They
simulate American CTC layouts. A demo is available but you can't
save layouts. I have a gripe with this 'simulator' (for want of
a better word) in that it's not really authentic to real
railways (I write software to control 'real' signalling in
railways ie SSI and Westrace) and I've emailed the company about
it. They've responded by saying that Train Despatcher 3 (due at
the end of the year) will have more realism.
Also an enhanced version of Train Despatcher 3 will be able to
control external devices (I assume through the serial port and a
D/A convertor) on model railways (and real railways...so they
say...yeah right!!) so you toy train buffs may be able to add
some signals to your train sets..err..I mean..model railways :-)
Anyway another more realistic simulator is available from
http://www.simsig.com/ which is based on British signalling.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com