Re: [OT] Railway software

signal_engineer <hayesipNOhaSPAM@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
2dff2954.c47f4a1a@usw-ex0101-007.remarq.com">news:2dff2954.c47f4a1a@usw-ex0101-007.remarq.com...
> There's Track Builder which is the partner to Train Despatcher 2
> and both can be obtained from http://www.signalcc.com . They
> simulate American CTC layouts. A demo is available but you can't
> save layouts. I have a gripe with this 'simulator' (for want of
> a better word) in that it's not really authentic to real
> railways

> regards Ian
> Signal Design Engineer

I'd be interested to hear why you think it is so unrealistic, Ian. Sure, you
can't 'terminate' a train and crews aren't screaming for relief every 5
seconds. TD2 loses much as a suburban or commuter simulator but for regional
CTC area's where there is little or no shunting, I think it is quite good.
Still, who am I to comment? I am an Australian Train Controller and this is
based on US Train Dispatching. So I ask my Canadian friend who dispatches
for Burlington Northern out of Vancouver Canada what he thinks of it.
"I've looked at it and won't play it. Too realistic. I get enough of that at
work".
"How does it compare with real US CTC software, say, for setting up a signal
route?"
"The method of setting a route on TD2 has only one mouse click difference to
how I set a route on the CTC computer at work".
(Dean, I know you read aus.rail so if my memory has not served correctly,
please feel free to correct me).

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane Australia.