Re: Express v. Stopping All Stations

I agree with your point that this system works well.  I assume that by
cross platform interchange you mean that passengers are able to
disembark on on side of a platform and then move straight across to the
other side of the platform for the waiting stopping all stations train.
This happens in Adelaide on the Gawler central line, where trains run
express from Dry Creek to the city, however passengers wanting
intermediate stations (not that I have ever actually seen one), can walk
5 metres across the platfrom to the waiting train.

However, you make the point that virtually all of the stations on the
network are designed so that this can not easily be faciliated.  The net
result of this is that to enable this to happen would actually require a
significant amount of infrastructure development.

The notion of bus rail connections, in the way I envisage them, is a
somwhat different proposition, and would in the ideal situation function
ancillary to the situation you suggest.  Without at doubt Melbourne has
the potential to have one of the finest public transport systems in the
entire world.  Its suburban rail network is enormous, outstipping those
in many cities with are frequently held up as totems of good public
transport.

However, what to me is a idellible blight on the performace of the
system as a whole is the complete in ability to manage transfers,
particularly intermodal tranfers, despite having a fully transferable,
albeit very complex ticketing system.  When buses do actually stop at
rail stations there is no attempt to align timtables or match
frequencies to those of the trains.  The result of this, an I say it at
risk of gettin flamed, given this is a rail based newsgroup, is that
each mode of the public transport system is seen as an isolated facet.
Frequently this results in different modes attempting to compete with
each other, rather than automobile transport.

As such, my assertion in my other email was not so much that 3/4 of the
stations on the Frankston line should be closed, but there is a fairly
desperate need for an improvment in overall journey times to areas at
the southern end of the line and their surrouding disticts.  This should
certainly not be at the expense of those living withing walking distance
of railway stations, however those who live beyond walking distance from
the line, but close enough that their trips would be best served with a
bus rail journey, rather than forcing them to take a archaic bus route a
long distance, should also be considered.

Michael Richardson
Honours Candidate - Bachelor of Urban & Regional Planning
University of South Australia
slagel@senet.com.au
UIN - 1311417