Re: Express v. Stopping All Stations

Sounds like the off peak services on the Short North (Sydney - Newcastle)
from 11/9/88 to Jan '92.  Two trains/hour each direction, one slow and one
fast.

>From Sydney terminal the slow train stopped Strathfield, Eastwood, Hornsby
thence all to Newcastle (3h 5m with 11m at Gosford).

The express stopped at Strathfield, Hornsby, Woy Woy, Gosford (overtook slow
train here), Wyong, Morisset, Fassifern, Broadmeadow, Hamilton and Newcastle
(2h 17m with 2m at Gosford).

Having lived in both Newcastle and Woy Woy in this period I found it be a
great timetable.  However, I don't know what people travelling from smaller
stations, where a change at Gosford for a faster trip was necessary, thought
of the arrangement.

Chris

Roderick Smith <rodsmith@werple.net.au> wrote in message
3978046D.68C9DF3A@werple.net.au">news:3978046D.68C9DF3A@werple.net.au...
> I can agree with Vaughan's philosophy, but not with anonymour micric's
> solution.
>
> The best solution for routes like Melbourne's comes from Japan.
> Each long route should have stopping all stations trains, overtaken at the
> midpoint by virtually-express trains *with cross platform interchange*.
> This maximises travel opportunities, gives the fastest journeys to the
> majority, and does it with the least infrastructure.
> Unfortunately, *every* Melbourne major station (even those rebuilt within
> the last few years) has been designed to prevent this.
>
> The abysmal Hillside (which claims to have new thoughts, but doesn't)
> provides worse services from Surrey Hills in the peak period than at
offpeak
> times.  When I try to travel to Upper Ferntree Gully, I have to wait at
Box