Re: Express v. Stopping All Stations

> I'm not sure that this is the only way to look at this situation..  I
> agree that long train rides stopiing all stations can be very
> frustrating.  I spent a week in Melbourne catching the train the
whole
> way to Koonanook and can appriiate the situation.
>
> However, the need for express trains should be balenced against the
fact
> that not all passengers are necessarily catching the train from the
CBD
> to a hub station which express trains would be likely to stop at.
>
> A public transport system should provide the greatest number of
> passengers with the greatest opportunity to access the greatest
number
> of locations, not just provide passengers with access to the CBD.  It
> should be remembered that only a small percentage of the population
work
> in the CBD.
>
> Some of the worlds more sucessful urban train systems such as
Torontos
> Subways (Not GO Transit Trains) and Vancourvers SkyTrain as have
> narrowly spaced stations without express trains.
>
> In the case of the Frankston line specifically, the service is very
much
> as sburuban service an would probably be better served in a similar
way
> to Perths Joondlup line with widely spaced stations and connecting
buses
> to service local areas.  Unfortunatley this would seem to call for
far
> more coordination between modes than any Victorian government seems
> capable of.

There is no need for buses, there is a perfectly good train line that
can be used in place of buses...

Why not run one train from Frankston to the city stopping at key
stations and one leaving a few minutes later stopping at all stations.
This would cater for those wanting to go to the city from major
stations, as well as those wanting to go from intermediate stations to
either the city or other stations.

Vaughan suggested changing trains at Cheltenham, I generally am opposed
to changing trains unnecessarily as it puts people off, especially in
inclement weather, and given Frankston is not that far away in terms of
travel time. One time I remember is when I crashed my first car and
wrote it off in a 4 car accident on the Westgate Bridge and had to get
all the junk in my car home in St Helena at the time from Williamstown.
Whilst the weather wasn't bad, having to quickly move 3 large boxes and
a tool box at Newport was a pain and changing trains at Spencer Street
from one platform to another wasn't much better. At least I could get
my stuff driven home from Eltham...

I am surprised that in Melbourne we don't seem keen on off peak
expresses apart from very short distances (Clifton Hill-Jolimont, S
Yarra - Caulfield, and the biggest joke Richmond - Burnley). I would
have thought with the volumes of passengers and time saved that Box
Hill locals and Belgrave/Lilydale expresses from Box
Hill-Camberwell-Richmond would be very viable and attractive,
especially given the competition (car) has an 'express' run from
Springvale Road to the exit in Hoddle Street. Especially given the
train takes 3 minutes to the city from Richmond and the car has about
15-20 from the freeway exit...

Ditto (possibly Springvale-)Oakleigh-Caulfield-Richmond,
Cheltenham-Caulfield-Richmond, Newport-Footscray-North Melbourne,
and to a less important degree Heidelberg-Ivanhoe-Fairfield-Clifton
Hill-Jolimont, Darling-Richmond, Elsternwick-South Yarra,etc. One day
if I get enthusiastic, I may put together a suggested timetable...

--
Michael Walker
Email: wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/