Re: Gold Coast light and heavy rail (was: Re: [QLD] Brisbane Light Rail Scrapped)

David Bromage wrote:

> Vaughan Williams (ender2000@my-deja.com) wrote:
>
> > > At this stage, they appear to favour terminating the Gold Coast
> > Railway at
> > > the airport. Thinking about the area, it would seem to be
> > prohibitively
> > > expensive, although not impossible, to get heavy rail into Coolangatta
> > > itself.
>
> > Interesting.
> > But why would you want to run heavy rail into coolangatta when you have
> > the station at the airport and a light rail link into the town centre?
>
> Exactly. That's why the current proposal is to terminate the railway at
> tha airport.
>
> I was just saying it would not be impossible to get heavy rail into
> Coolangatta, but is probably not desirable.

It could be ralitivity easy to get a line into Coolangatta. Use the center of
Coolangatta road    ( the medium strip and foot paths are  wide enough) then
go in to the parkland at Miles St. then the only problem would be is the
Coolangatta Court and Police Station as it sits completely in the way then
could go into the car park behind the shops.
I don't think locals or tourists would appreciate a heavy rail line into
Coolangatta unless it was totally underground. But why  anyone would want to
go to that troubl If Surfside buses provide a decent service meeting all
trains at Coolangatta Airport then travel to Coolangatta via Marine parade
Kirra the normal route for most of their bus services  then I don't think many
people will  complain as the scenery is absolutely brilliant. The likely hood
of a light rail line on the same route I doubt would ever be  contemplated
Davo