Olympic Flame in Adelaide [was Re: Olympic Ffalme in Adelaide]

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
39705280$0$11186$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39705280$0$11186$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> "James C" <noemail@emailsux.com> wrote in message
> 3970508d$0$11169$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3970508d$0$11169$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> > Tsk tsk tsk......tourch will carry on baord Obahn ...but not
> TransAdelaide's
> > train and tram.....:-(
> >
> > TransAdelaide lost another opptunity for free publicity .....:-(
>
> Isn't TransAdelaide (as the body responsible overall for public transport
in
> Adelaide) responsible for the O-Bahn (in the same way that The Met were
> responsible for all transport - public and private - prior to
> privitisation)?
>
> Dave

The Passenger Transport Board (see www.ptb.sa.gov.au and
www.adelaidemetro.com.au) are the body with overall responsibility for
public transport (including taxis) in Adelaide. TransAdelaide
(www.transadelaide.sa.gov.au) run the metropolitan trains and the Glenelg
tram. One of the olympic torches was carried on the tram today, and I
followed the torch relay on foot between Blackwood roundabout, across the
Glenalta crossing, and over the Pinera bridge.

[Off-topic gripe: TransAdelaide had online timetables in text format before
losing bus services to Serco and others, and now the only current bus
timetables on-line are at www.adelaidemetro.com.au in PDF format. The
oh-so-wonderful www.sercobus.com.au site is woefully out-of-date as far as
timetables go.]

One TransAdelaide gentleman was standing at the passenger race by the
Glenalta crossing just to make sure that no-one hung around on the tracks
when a train was approaching. As I recall, a TransAdelaide train to Adelaide
and some Melbourne-bound locomotives in V/Line and Freight Australia paint
schemes went over the crossing just before the torch relay support vehicle
with the torches for the upcoming runners reached the crossing (about
4:40pm).

Arthur.