Gold Coast light and heavy rail (was: Re: [QLD] Brisbane Light Rail Scrapped)

Colin Weaver (weaver@powerup.com.au) wrote:
> It looks to me like light rail in Brisbane is dead in the water for the
> time being - the only light rail proposal in QLD which is still alive is
> the Gold Coast proposal which has firmed up considerably in recent
> months.

This looks quite good. They plan a staged development, coordinated with
the extention of the Gold Coast Railway to Coolangatta.

Stage 1: Helensvale (QR) - Southport - Pacific Fair
         Nerang (QR) - Pacific Fair
Stage 2: Pacific Fair - Burleigh - Airport (QR) - Coolangatta
         Southport - Runaway Bay
Stage 3: Nerang (QR) - Southport, Robina (QR) - Burleigh
Stage 4: Possible extension to South Tweed (over the border)

(QR) = interchange at QR heavy rail station

At this stage, they appear to favour terminating the Gold Coast Railway at
the airport. Thinking about the area, it would seem to be prohibitively
expensive, although not impossible, to get heavy rail into Coolangatta
itself.

Also interesting to note is a proposal by the Gold Coast City Council that
the Cleveland line be extended through Logan to Beenleigh with some trains
running through to Coolangatta.

There is also a proposal for a freight line off the GCR to Yatala.

Cheers
David