Re: Passenger service return to Whyalla?

"David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
HCRb5.21$_v1.470723@news0.optus.net.au">news:HCRb5.21$_v1.470723@news0.optus.net.au...
> Dave Proctor (daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> > "David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
> > ACzb5.67$s84.625861@news0.optus.net.au">news:ACzb5.67$s84.625861@news0.optus.net.au...

> > > Broken Hill is another useful one. Given the limited stops these days,
it
> > > could be done in about 6 hours.
>
> > You could even use the new rolling stock that is being built for
> > Countrylink, for the NSW service, to operate it.
>
> New rollingstock = 3 more XPT trailers. Nowhere near enough.

Perfectly adequate for one service operating once or twice per week,
particularly when it is the same rolling stock as used elsewhere (so no
issues WRT spare cars).

> > If the train ran overnight from Sydney to Parkes, then the Parkes to
Adelaide sector could be managed
> > easily in a day.
>
> I don't fancy 20 hours on an XPT.

Neither do I, I would use IP or Ghan if doing the full trip - but let's
treat it like any other Countrylink service, where there are far more
intermediate journeys than through journeys. Menindee to Adelaide would be
ok, as would Sydney - Parkes or Orange - Condobolin or Ivanhoe to Broken
Hill.

Dave