Re: Images of 4908's new livery.

Roy Marshall wrote:

> You would have to be looking very hard to see the 3801 Limited logo on
> 4401, and it will be the same on 4908.While the 38's need to be in
> heritage colours why should that apply to all diesels in service? Look
> at all of the other private operators around the place now like LVR
> Freight, Great Northern, ATN etc etc. And as for Steamrail's S313 livery
> I seem to recall that it was a"Santa Fe" style - very historical in an
> Australian context! There are two other 49's running around in NSW at
> present and these are in "candy" colours. 3801 is a tourist operation as
> well as a heritage operator and a smart set of carriages with matching
> loco helps to bring in money to keep the 38's in service!

An operator that calls themselves a "heritage operator" should operate
their locos and rolling stock in a condition that is representative of
their appearence when they were with a commercial operator earlier in
their existance. When a group does something like this, then I don't see
how the term "heritage operator" applies because they are no longer
offering a heritage experience except for the fact their rolling stock
is old and second hand. If this is a heritage operator, then West Coast
Railway is a heritage operator because all their locos and rolling stock
date back to the 50's or earlier. Really, if 3801 Ltd painted 4908 and
the carriages in the proper NSWGR tuscan livery it would still look very
nice and I think it would appeal to more people as it is a true heritage
experience, not just a theme park style fantasy.

Even with historical aspects aside, I think the livery on 4908 is
hideous! It would look much better if they didn't have a diamond shape
on the front, I think if it dropped down in a V shape (similar to the
GNR livery on the short hood of the 3rd series T's) then it would look a
bit better. I also think they have gone overboard with the fancy lining
on the carriages and the solid yellow stripe just doesn't fit in with
the thin lining on the other panels. What is wrong with just having a
stripe below and above the window line?

Also, is this livery going to be applied to the entire 3801 Ltd fleet of
carriages. If this is the case, then having 3801 or 3830 in a heritage
livery won't really matter because the train will be in the 3801 Ltd
livery.

As for 4401, I don't mind this loco as much because it is only an
alteration of the original livery. 4908 is a totally different livery
except for the basic colors, and it looks nothing like a 49 in NSWGR
service. This is what I really object to. GNR, ATN, ASR, FA, V/Line
Pass, etc... are all purely commercial operators so there is really no
comparison apart from the fact that so called heritage operators are
becoming more like the commercial operators every day.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au