Re: Tocumwal(V/NSW) and Goulburn Valley

James C <noemail@emailsux.com> wrote in message
396bd4ec$0$11203$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:396bd4ec$0$11203$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> While at Tocuwmal, I noticed huge number of trucks going through the town
> every few minute
>  I guess FA (and maybe Freight Corp) have room to expand.
> There is an abandon silo at Tocuwmal, and another one near Cobram railway
> station. According to Railway Gazette FA is looking at operating more
trains
> north of Tocuwmal.
>
> Cobram looks  like a town with potential for both FA and V/line-P
> Hopefully this simple thing such as points can be rectify soon

James a good number of these trucks (road trains with containers) are from
N.S.W running into the Grey's container terminal at Toc, therefore utilising
the railhead.The produce being carried is rice from Coleambally and Leeton
areas, export hay, mainly in the 40 footers,containerised cereal crops, and
a fair amount of dairy produce from Cobram and Strathmerton hence the P is
required for H.E.P. During the harvest period literally 100's of trucks
serve the railhead weekly as you would have noted with the massive bunkers
in situ. The silo you mentioned on the up side of the station is currently
being demolished.

I agree with Doug I can never see it feesible for the return of passenger
traffic to Cobram, sorry to be a pessimist, unless the current labour
gonvernment injects funds to restore the service and heavilly subisidies
N.E. Although I have thaught of running a 3 car sprinter service on the G.V.
line one detatches off at Toolamba for Echuca, two to Shepp and one for
Cobram, but once again it would only be a service with no real return on
capital.

As for F.A. heading north it has been discussed various times on this N.G
with interesting comments, which I would like to add. Given that the current
line heads north to Finley and sharp East to Berrigan then North again to
Nanandera, sever the line at Berrigan, totally abolish the Berrigan
Nananadera bit as the latter town is already served by F.A. Continue the
line to Oaklands from Berrigan, and abolish the Oaklands Benalla B.G
section. By doing this you are only laying a new 40km section to Oaklands,
eliminating a total upgrade between Berrigan and Nanandera some 160Km and
considerable bridge work would be required. This could then fully utilise
the G.V.line once converted to S.G with additional traffic from Oaklands. By
totally removing the Benalla Oaklands line huge savings in maintance are
obtained considering the distance of the line and what runs on it. This
would also allow the removal of the section therefore enabling the removal
of the Wodonga Seymour B.G.section. (Sorry Rod but they my thoughts)

Regards
Thommo