New York Subways [Was: Re: Stuttgart Suburban Train ]

New York subway, when I visited in the chilly -6ºC Winter 98.

$1.50 per token which allows any travel on Manhattan (and beyond maybe)
OR a Metrocard which is like a credit/debit travel card

You plop your token in or swipe your card and go through a turnstyle.

Head down to a platform, either up or down town. You pick a train (there are
only 5 or so where i was getting on) which are marked very clearly on the
front with their letter/number.

Doors open, you get on - one decker train with seats against the walls.

Doors close, automatically? while a doorbell sounds to warn people and if
anyone is smooshed, they open again and close.

You reach your stop, squeeze out and you go through a turnstyle.

As far as I know, there are no timetables because the services are so
frequent and there are only a couple of different routes.

Mitch

3969A821.E72F0B0F@nospam.acslink.net.au">news:3969A821.E72F0B0F@nospam.acslink.net.au...