Re: New York Subways [Was: Re: Stuttgart Suburban Train ]

hope they won't bother with "Olympic Park Metro" timetables come September.
Trains will run so frequent and only go between Central and Blacktown via
Olympic Park it'd be the biggest waste of paper on earth to print the times
(and get ppl angry once a train runs slightly late. If you don't print the
damn thing nobody would know and could even "cancel" off an extra train if
circumstances require so!!!! sneaky eh...)

"Mitch" <webmaster@nos-pam.mitch.zzn.com> wrote in message
mbja5.712$gg.2413@news1.rivrw1.nsw.optushome.com.au">news:mbja5.712$gg.2413@news1.rivrw1.nsw.optushome.com.au...
New York subway, when I visited in the chilly -6ºC Winter 98.

$1.50 per token which allows any travel on Manhattan (and beyond maybe)
OR a Metrocard which is like a credit/debit travel card

You plop your token in or swipe your card and go through a turnstyle.

Head down to a platform, either up or down town. You pick a train (there are
only 5 or so where i was getting on) which are marked very clearly on the
front with their letter/number.

Doors open, you get on - one decker train with seats against the walls.

Doors close, automatically? while a doorbell sounds to warn people and if
anyone is smooshed, they open again and close.

You reach your stop, squeeze out and you go through a turnstyle.

As far as I know, there are no timetables because the services are so
frequent and there are only a couple of different routes.

Mitch

3969A821.E72F0B0F@nospam.acslink.net.au">news:3969A821.E72F0B0F@nospam.acslink.net.au...