Re: Countrylink - Canberra - Sydney

In article <388bcaed@pink.one.net.au> "Nobody" <dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> writes:
>From: "Nobody" <dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Countrylink - Canberra - Sydney
>Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:44:45 +1100

>ok thanks for the info. I enjoy travelling Countrylink for the simple reason
>that my 6'4 frame hates travelling long distance (cramp-o-rama) and the
>ability to get up and walk is a benefit on the train that no other form of
>transport can offer (except for maybe the boat, and I get sick on those and
>where do you get a long distance one without paying a bomb?). I know what
>you mean about the generalisation with "dregs" of society, something i've
>noticed.
>However when I went to Wachope from Sydney in October, they overbooked car e
>(economy). As a result I didnt get my window seat which I had asked for. The
>attendant was very good about it and moved me to a seat in car f (econ.),
>which was near empty!
>Of note was that the train (Grafton XPT 12:00 from Hornsby) was over 2 hours
>late at Wachope. Despite this, the staff kept the people fully informed of
>the problems (late departure from Sydney due to signalling meant train was
>out of its slot and had to wait to cross more trains) and despite a verbal
>hammering from several customers, they kept their smiles and were very
>tactful and apologetic (something rare in the railways it seems). Well done
>Countrylink for facing the problem so well.

>Brendan

Brendans post brings up an interesting issue .
What happens when a train runs late and loses its path thru no fault of the
train operator.
In the case above , if the XPT was delayed by failed signalling then its the
fault of the track owner, in this case RAC, so why should then the XPT be put
away for other trains.
It would seem to me that the track owner has an obligation to rectify the
situation, ie do everything it can to remedy the late running of the XPT.
Is there any compensation payable in this circumstance

MD