Re: Meekatharra

John Kerr <jkerr@gil.com.au> wrote in message
387e82c5@news.bne.gil.com.au">news:387e82c5@news.bne.gil.com.au...
> I think you will find it was built to Peak Hill but had very short life.
> Written up in ARHS Bulletin a few years ago, but couldn't quickly find the
> reference. John Kerr. Others may be more helpful.
> John Duncan McCallum wrote in message <387BAD8C.6654B099@melbpc.org.au>...

I was reading a 1998 Bulletin last night, and I stumbled across reference to
it:

Bulletin 724  February, 1998, p78 "Explorer" page:
Dr I. Cutter requests information regarding a railway running north from
Meekatharra to "Horseshoe".

Bulletin 727 May, 1998, p188 "Explorer" page:
David Stoupe writes that  reference to the line is made on p53 of Ron
Fitch's book "Making Tracks".
The line was a venture by the WA Manganes Co, in the late 1920's, and ran to
Horseshoe, near Peak Hill.  The line was
not a commercial success, and recovered materials were later used in the
construction of the Cue to Big Bell branch, south
of Meekatharra.

Bulletin 732 October, 1998, p390 "Explorer" page:
David Parsons writes that the line was featured in Bulletin 562 August,
1984, pp 183-189, titled "The Meekatharra to Horseshoe Railway", by Malcom
Searle.
The history of the locomotives used is covered in "Rails Through the
Bush",(1997) by Adrian Gunzberg, and Jeff Austin,
published by the Light Railway Research Society of Aust., Inc.

You never know what you will stumble across, do you?

--
John McCandless
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...