Re: [VIC] Standard Gauging

The problem with gauge standardisation is that theres an endless knock-
on effect. If melb - geelong was standardised then the most likely
outcome for warrnambool, given the scarcity of funds for rail, would be
closure and bustitution of the warrnambool line. Nobody wants that.

A case in point is the standardisation to Adelaide, which had side
effects like (this from PTUA News Dec 1996, and it turned out to be
prophetic):
* The Overland is slower than ever and does not go through ballarat.
The future of the service is now under threat.
* Standardisation was used as an excuse to close the v-line service to
horsham and dimboola
* SA rail lines that feed into the Melb - Adl route (eg, Mt Gambier)
have closed
* The Victorian rail freight system has been split into two
incompatible halves
* The Adelaide service to Belair operates on a single track, reducing
reliability and increasing the prospect of closure

So what exactly did the community get for its $150 million dollars?

For a start, they should fix up the line through the Adelaide Hills.

Vaughan

In article <p%Dg4.162$RY1.6320@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
  "Steven Hurst" <hurste@primus.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>         I know the regauging of Victorian lines has been raised many
times
> before, but I was just thinking in regard to the Warnambool line, and
the
> general consensus seems to be that this line would not be re-gauged.
>         But Why!?  Surely Melb - Geelong needs to become SG (ie. no
longer 3
> tracks anymore just 2)   Then Warnambool trains would be stuck unless
the
> terminated at Geelong, so you would need SG down there, and dual
gauging
> lowers your speed limit to 80 kph for the BG trains, so please tell
me any
> other option that would allow that line to stay BG.
>
> regards,
>
> Steven Hurst
> Melbourne, Australia
>
> Broadmeadows Website Update Coming Soon.... [early 2000 - I hope!]
> http://home.primus.com.au/hurste/bmsl
>
> My Railway Website...
> http://home.primus.com.au/hurste/rail

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/