Re: Curious Statistics

Brendan wrote in message <01bf5e91$d5efe1c0$060e65cb@nobody>...
>Cow on track le hamburger yes. Derailment "extremely unlikely" . . . hmmm.
>Cows have big bones. And how did a cow get on the track? what else could?
>
>As a matter of fact I did do physics. Something traveeling fast with only a
>couple of centimetres of flange doesnt need m
>uch of a hit to go off.
>
>I remind you that the bridge derailment happened after a train hit a car
>that had fallen off it. That could happen anywhere, wheter track is
>conventional or not.
>
>and that doesnt change the fact that Australia's track is highly
>conventional.
>
>Brendan.

A XPT was derailed some years ago at Glenapp (pre loop extension)
on the Down (to Brisbane).The Driver Brought the train to a stand at the
Staff Hut,
carried out his safeworking duties then departed at a  reduced speed due to
Fog in the early
morning pre dawn hours. Just out beyond the Home Signal the XPT struck and
killed
a bullock derailing the lead bogie in the process, the speed I think was
about 15 kph and the
train came to an almost immeadiate stand.

Mind you I have also seen XPTs derailed by cars struck at Level Crossings.