Re: Safeworking Rules.

"Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
news:84b8s8$bhc$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> nobody <dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Uhm the general differences between the road signal and the railway
signal
> > are:
> >
> > Rail signals detect trains by an electric circuit, while road detects
cars
> > by weight;
> >
> > A road signal only need operate at an intersection, designed to get as
> many
> > cars moving as it can, A rail signal is designed for one train at a
time;

> > When a road signal fails, it usually goes blank, and there is a "stop"
> sign
> > or something similar for use in this case or police on duty;
> >
> > I dont think rail should have any breach of rules in this area because
> > trains can not swerve if a mistake has been made. If a signal fails,
There
> > should be nothing going past it until it is fixed, or the communication
> > should be totally clear.
> >
> > Isnt it amazing how many accidents on both road and rail happen when
> signals
> > are disobeyed?
> >
> > Brendan
>
> So the world stops because a light goes out!!!!
>
> The current Commuter rail systems would soon loose all their dwindling
> traffic if this philosophy took hold.
>
> Could you imagine for how long people would tolerate: "Sorry all trains on
> the #@*%! Line have been cancelled until a signal fitter can arrive to
> replace a blow fuse etc. Or a driver announced to his passengers "There
will
> be a 2 hour delay because a signal ahead (for the section he can see is
> clear) is defective".
>
> There has to be provisions in all operating Rules for failures, yes they
> must be safe provisions, but never-the-less, provisions must be there, to
> suggest anything less only proves a lack of knowledge of railway
operation.

> Bob.

True. But it is also inconvenient if that same announcement runs along the
lines of: "All trains have been cancelled because of a derailment that has
killed several people because a train ran through a faulty signal". I know
which I prefer. Either way, a faulty signal can stop the world moving, but
so can the rear end of another train.

Brendan