Re: Safeworking Rules.

> True. But it is also inconvenient if that same announcement runs along the
> lines of: "All trains have been cancelled because of a derailment that has
> killed several people because a train ran through a faulty signal". I know
> which I prefer. Either way, a faulty signal can stop the world moving, but
> so can the rear end of another train.

Brendan,
            Rail accidents happen once in a blue moon, or even much less!
Signal failures happen every day, If you want to live in a society that does
not take any risks, a one way ticket to Easter Island should fit the bill.
             Road Accidents fill our morgues each day, and cause our
Hospitals to overflow, and lighten our wallets as much each week. But do I
hear you asking that all cars be banned, because the risks are so high?
             Injuries and death on the Rail System are very small compared
to other forms of transport. You have to take risks to live in a modern
Society! If you do not agree you know what you should do...  CAREFULL !!
look behind you, don't you think that bloke in the car might lose control
and run you over as you walk along...God that plane might fall out of the
sky...
Get my drift... We do a pretty good job getting you to and from work each
day, and for those that use their cars, keeping hundreds of thousands of
passenger journeys off those moving car parks you so hate.
Rod  [who was nearly an ex Freight Victoria Driver ...got 5 numbers
straight, Saturday night, and one off the 6th...damn it]

ps best thing we can all do is lobby our local members to make our Railways
safer, by putting more money back into the infrastructure, so as to improve
the reliability.