Re: Curious Statistics

Don't forget, luck works both ways, consider Granville.

And while statistics are important so are perceptions.  The first media
reports of fatalities for Ladbroke Grove, Glenbrook and Aamot were 100+, 12
& 33 respectively.  The final figures were 30, 7, 19 (latest I heard).
Media ignorance and sensationalism are frequently a problem for the image of
rail transport.

I think the fatality statistics for each transport mode were compiled for an
Industry Commission report on railways (transport in general?) many years
ago.  I was too late to obtain a copy of the report but major libraries
should have copies available.

Next time you board a bus have a look at the statement on the Bus and Coach
Association sticker on the windscreen or forward left window - "Bus the
safest form of land transport" (correctly quoted from memory I hope).

Chris

nobody <dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
38769933@pink.one.net.au">news:38769933@pink.one.net.au...