Re: Deary deary me ...

Chris Stratton wrote in message <85j7hj$q28$1@gossamer.itmel.bhp.com.au>...

>It's the same everywhere. A couple of years back some of the residents in
>Cordeaux Heights were complaining about the noise of the BHP trains on the
>Mount Kembla line and they were actually trying to stop the trains.

Sounds like Cordeaux Heights to me..... I used to do pizza driving in the
southern suburbs of Wollongong, and believe me, many residents of Cordeaux
Heights were the most petty-minded and stingiest residents in the entire
Illawarra...... I can't recall a decent tip I ever made there..... so it
wouldn't surprise me that they would try and shut that rail line down.

<just my opinion based on experience... I am sure there are plenty of
right-thinking people in Cordeaux Heights... I just never met any>

>Cordeaux Heights was started about 15 years ago and the railway was there
>long before the houses.

It's an interesting railway.... I used to use the crossing at Central
Avenue, Cordeaux Heights at least half-a-dozen times per shift, but I never
saw a train... unlike the crossing at Nolan Street Unanderra on the Main
Illawarra line, where about 20% of the time I would have to wait for a train
to pass. So not too many trains would use the Mt Kembla line I would
imagine....

Also, a thing I noticed about the Mt Kembla line which might be of interest:
their speedboards look like road speed limit signs! (Black number in a red
circle on a white background).... a 25km/h sign can be seen just up from the
Central Ave crossing.

Regards,
Bradley.