Re: [NSW] Regents Park vs. Granville lines?

geoffrah wrote in message <85iqd4$7g0$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>I think the bottom line is that the level of patronage on the line between
>Cabramatta and Granville far exceeds that on the Regents Park line (I think
>it was by a factor of around 10 to 1 - from some timetable planning
document
>that was released prior to the 1996 timetable change). CityRail is just
>trying to meet that demand by placing as many services through Granville.

Yea, makes sense, but it doesn't explain why Regents Park trains have to
stop all stations up to Central, when those stations are adequately served
by (a) the Bankstown trains, and (b) Sydney Buses.

>I cannot agree with you on your comments on the East Hills line though -
>what do you mean shoddy ?

I should have explained myself better on this point..... I agree, the East
Hills line is a massive improvement to Campbelltown commuters compared to
having to go all the way up to Sydney via Regents Park or Granville....
still, I feel (based on my experience commuting from Glenfield to Sydney
every day for two years via the East Hills line) that the East Hills line
leaves MUCH to be desired. I don't understand why the expresses from
Campbelltown have to stop at Riverwood, Padstow and Kingsgrove (and
sometimes even Panania and Revesby)..... the only thing I can think of is to
stop it catching up to a slower all-stations train from East Hills.

Also another bugbear I have with the East Hills line is that, in peak hour,
all-stations-to-East Hills sets outnumber express-to-Campbelltown by a
factor of 2 to 1. I used to fume with frustration on Platform 23 at Central
while I would wait for two all-stations trains which were only half-full,
only to see the Campbelltown express train pull up and get squeezed in like
a sardine! (They are often filled up by Circular Quay).

Regards,
Bradley.