Re: [NSW] Regents Park vs. Granville lines?

I think the bottom line is that the level of patronage on the line between
Cabramatta and Granville far exceeds that on the Regents Park line (I think
it was by a factor of around 10 to 1 - from some timetable planning document
that was released prior to the 1996 timetable change). CityRail is just
trying to meet that demand by placing as many services through Granville.
Although I would agree the Regents Park line gets a pretty poor service
now - especially compared to the situation in the 80's when express trains
from Campbelltown used to stop at a number of stations in this section.

I cannot agree with you on your comments on the East Hills line though -
what do you mean shoddy ?  For people going to stations between Glenfield
and Macarthur it was a massive improvement - in travel time, reliability,
crowding etc. I remember the bad old days when trains had to travel to the
City via Regents Park from Campbelltown because there was no East Hills
link - and talk about a slow and crowded journey !!!

>why is it that the All Stations To Liverpool goes down the Regent's Park
>anabranch, but the Express goes the long way via Granville and Fairfield?
snip !
> This would greatly improve services to Liverpool and even >Campbelltown
commuters (who will then have a decent alternative to the >shoddy East Hills
service, even if it will be a few minutes longer)