Re: Any suggestions for top 3 railways "things to do" in Sydney

Peter Mason wrote in message <85jipo$shn@mo.nabaus.com.au>...

>This is probably asking for trouble, but would any of you care to suggest
>the "Top 3 railway things to do in Sydney and environs"?

OK, because it seems that you have rather limited time, I'll restrict my
suggestions to the main Sydney urban area (and not the
outer-outer-metropolitan areas like the Southern Highlands or the Central
Coast.....)

* Light rail from Central to Wentworth Park (would go right near where you
are staying....)
* The North Shore Line (over the Harbour Bridge - good view from the upper
deck; some impressive cuttings from Chatswood to North Sydney; quaint,
English-style stations such as Gordon; nice subtropical rainforests near the
railway right-of-way)
* Eastern Suburbs Railway (impressive elevated railway in some places;
equally impressive deep-bore tunnels and stations in others; somewhat
eccentric station designs; and the escalators at the stations! Some of the
stations are so deep, it feels as though you are entering the Portals of
Hell..... oh, there's the uncompleted Woollahra Station as well).

>Please try to keep the costs reasonable, and we will be using public
>transport to get around. As we are returning to Melbourne on Tuesday 25 Jan
>on the overnight XPT, any suggestions to improve the XPT trip also welcome.

Bring a blanket. Bring your own food. Don't even think about asking a
passenger attendant for assistance. Just sit down and shut up and don't say
a word. :-)

Regards,
Bradley.