Re: Any suggestions for top 3 railways "things to do" in Sydney

In article <85jipo$shn@mo.nabaus.com.au>,
  "Peter Mason" <Peter_Mason@nag.national.com.au> wrote:
> My son (8) and I (we are from Melbourne) will be in Sydney for a
three days
> toward the end of the month. We will be staying in Darling Harbour,
but
> would like to do some railway oriented sightseeing. We arrive Sunday
morning
> and depart via XPT Tuesday evening.
>
> This is probably asking for trouble, but would any of you care to
suggest
> the "Top 3 railway things to do in Sydney and environs"?
As for me, I would take:

1. Newcastle service
Go through beautiful Hawkesbury River. See coal trains haul by powerful
90 class.

2. Blue Mountain
(Optional visit to ZigZag/Scenic Railway)

3. South Coast line (Nowra)
Beautiful beach cliff-face,with an option of "Cockatoo run"

Other options: Cross the Harbour Bridge to North Sydeny, Olympic Park

> Please try to keep the costs reasonable, and we will be using public
> transport to get around. As we are returning to Melbourne on Tuesday
25 Jan
> on the overnight XPT, any suggestions to improve the XPT trip also
welcome.

Take the daylight XPT service, sit up during the day rather then fed up
with the squeaky noise while you try to sleep.

> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/