Re: [NSW] Parramatta Rail Link

Bradley Torr wrote:

> Wasn't there a steam tramway up to Castle Hill from Parramatta that closed
> in the early 1930's? I think it started at the corner of Church and Darcy
> Streets, then headed north up Windsor Road and the Old Northern Road to
> where Castle Towers mall is now......

The steam tram pre-dated the railway. The tramway ran directly into
Parramatta and was replaced by the railway running from just west of
Westmead station. The railway looped around until it met up with the
tramway route close to the location of the major flyover-type road
intersection now at North Parramatta.

The tram went only to Castle Hill, the railway went on to Rogans Hill.
The site of the Rogans Hill station is on the side of the hillside
directly behind (and below) the BBC Hardware shop on the corner of Old
Northern Road and Castle Hill Road.

In addition to the other references people have quoted, there is a
little book about the history of the trams and railway, published (if I
recall correctly) by a local historical society or something of that ilk
rather than by a railway historical group. However I do not have the
reference at hand.

Eddie Oliver