Re: Newcastle realignment (with a Mountains flavour)

In essence the Mountains require a different type of rolling stock, ideally
something that tilts, but this may not be feasible until the V-sets are life
expired (or 20 years there after probably).

In the interim, I think Mountains commuters would be better served by a
revised operating strategy.  Freights rarely mix with the peak flow in the
Mountains so CityRail has carte blanche on timetabling.

I don't suggest for a second that available seats be reduced to below
available passengers.  However, The Chips as an 8 car V-set may just cut a
50% load beyond Emu Plains.  That's an extra 4 cars travelling almost 70km
for what, an effluent decant.  And this is a train that doesn't stop at
Penrith to pick up Mountains bound commuters!  It strikes me that excess
load problems on all (the vast majority?) of Mountains trains occurs east of
Lapstone.

Regarding dividing trains at Penrith.  I know V-sets don't do it now but
there is no reason they couldn't do if quickly and efficiently while
standing in the platform if multi-functional couplers were provided V-sets.

I must be spending too much time daydreaming on the trip between Hazelbrook
and Penrith - nevertheless, working through the possibilities is always
entertaining.

Chris

yVSd4.3245$oF2.10221@ozemail.com.au">news:yVSd4.3245$oF2.10221@ozemail.com.au...