Re: Newcastle realignment (with a Mountains flavour)

Christopher Downs wrote in message ...
>In essence the Mountains require a different type of rolling stock, ideally
>something that tilts, but this may not be feasible until the V-sets are
life
>expired (or 20 years there after probably).
>
>In the interim, I think Mountains commuters would be better served by a
>revised operating strategy.  Freights rarely mix with the peak flow in the
>Mountains so CityRail has carte blanche on timetabling.
>
>I don't suggest for a second that available seats be reduced to below
>available passengers.  However, The Chips as an 8 car V-set may just cut a
>50% load beyond Emu Plains.  That's an extra 4 cars travelling almost 70km
>for what, an effluent decant.  And this is a train that doesn't stop at
>Penrith to pick up Mountains bound commuters!  It strikes me that excess
>load problems on all (the vast majority?) of Mountains trains occurs east
of
>Lapstone.
>
>Regarding dividing trains at Penrith.  I know V-sets don't do it now but
>there is no reason they couldn't do if quickly and efficiently while
>standing in the platform if multi-functional couplers were provided V-sets.
>
>I must be spending too much time daydreaming on the trip between Hazelbrook
>and Penrith - nevertheless, working through the possibilities is always
>entertaining.

A friend of mine who is an InterCity driver suggested an (off-peak)
operating pattern (not sure if I have mentioned it here before) of V-sets
operating Central, Strathfield, Parramatta, Penrith, Springwood then all to
wherever - operating hourly. there would also be a G-set, operating hourly,
operating Central, Redfern, Strathfield, Granville, Parramatta, Westmead,
Blacktown, Penrith, all to Springwood.

If it was timed nicely, you would have 6 trains per hour to Penrith, a short
interchange period at Springwood (in each direction), and a much faster
journey for upper mountains customers.

He also suggested the through working of G-sets from Springwood to Wyong,
giving an hourly service from the North Shore to the Mental Coast.

Not sure how well it would all work out though.

Dave