Re: Newcastle realignment

nobody (dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> Dare I ask if your serious?
> Are they really going to change the alignment more than a little after all
> this time?
> This is exciting!
> When?
> Where's the info, is it online?

It was one of Carr's election promises. Work is supposed to commence after
the Olympics (March 2001, I think) with the entire project finished in
about 2006. It's supposed to take 30 minutes off the journey using current
rollingstock.

What I posted was the current RAC thinking on how it should be done with
the amount of funding promised. Of course, no money has yet been allocated.

I'm still trying to get information on the Wollongong line upgrade
(supposedly a 14km tunnel) and the proposed Hurstville - Strathfield
railway. There's also talk of a tunnel under the range between Murrurundi
and Quirindi.

cheers
David