Re: Norway Prang

I'm surprised there is no comment on this posting even though it's
Norweigan.
Considering the poor record of Aussie signalling recently I would have
thought there would have been some comparisons?

Brendan

"Notagunzel" <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
aRXc4.65$aq3.1352@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:aRXc4.65$aq3.1352@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> Listen here children, knowing aus.rail has nothing at all to do with
Norway,
> I thought all the self appointed armchair experts out there could wrap
your
> brain some Gen I've dug up on the Norway Prang:-
>
> The info is from several sources:
> English language content on the NSB website -
> http://www.nsb.no/persont/index_en.html
> Erik's Rail News - http://eriksrailnews.com
> BBC News - http://news.bbc.co.uk/
> Danger Ahead - http://danger-ahead.railfan.net/
> Excite News - http://news.excite.com
> Newsgroup "uk.railway" - news:uk.railway
>
> The trains involved were:
> *- Train No. 2302, 07.45 Trondheim - Hamar via Røros, Loco Di3 625 and two
> B3 + BF11 carriages;
> *- Train No. 2369, 12.30 Hamar - Rena, DMU No. BM 9214.
>
> This is AFAIK the geography involved, but it's from multiple sources and
may
> not be right:
>
> North < Trondheim -(??km)- Rena -(10ish km)- Åsta -(8 km)- Rustad -(12km)-
> Elverum -(??km)- Hamar - Oslo > South
>
> The 2 trains collided immediately south of Åsta ("160 km north of Oslo")
> station.  No indication of whether Åsta is a crossing station or not.
>
> The trains would normally pass each other at Rustad station at 13.10.
>
> Both trains were manned by one driver and an on-board conductor.
>
> The DMU was built in 1985, the carriages in the 1960's, and the loco, Di3
> 625 was built in 1965 & is a "1950's model"  AFAIK this is one of the
famous
> European GM's.
>
> The safeworking system is a little hard to comprehend.  The NSB website
> describes the "Safety Plant" separately to the "CTC (Centralised Traffic
> Control)"  Suffice to say, the "Safety Plant" prevents a proceed aspect
> being displayed on the departure signals at the same time, and ensures
only
> one train at a time is in the section at a time. Eriks Rail News reports
> that "The line has an unusual blocking system using magnets at the end of
> the trains. Detectors in the track thus tell the traffic controller when
the
"I'm