Re: [TAS] Rare sight in Hobart

Athan wrote:

> Tonight, seen in Hobart, was a very unusual scene.  As is my want, I
> enjoy watching the evening goods shunt and leave, but tonight, was in
> for a real treat.  The consist for tonight was made up of 4 different
> classes of locomotives.

> In the lead:    2010    formerly QR 1466   first in service 8/64.
> modified in NZ, now DQ class.

> second:        4588    I think this was it's first visit to Hobart.  A
> DC class, built as DA1489, in Canada (A 2070) , and served in New
> Zealand, 1964.

This loco has been to Hobart before in similar circumstances. There was
an
article in "Tasmanian Rail News" about it.

> third unit:   2056    Another QR, completely unmodified, slave unit.
> Was QR 1475.

> final unit:    2101   a named loco, ZR2- Audrey Mills, is an English
> Electric, and led this unlikely set into Hobart.  Recently modified
> braking allows this to run with GMs. Originally QR2355, first introduced
> in 1973, moved to Tas in 1987 (ZB 6) and then in 1997 became ZR 2.
> Livery: supposively ANR yellow, but consistent with recent rolling stock
> from ANR days, best described as sooted grime.

This is interesting. Did 2101 trail the set out of Hobart? If so, was it
powering?
I find this hard to believe that it would have been modified for MU
operation
as this would have been expensive. It would have required the
replacement
of the EE control system by a GE/EMD unit.

John McCallum