Re: [TAS] Rare sight in Hobart

In speaking to Tasrail, I understand from their senior engineering staff
that they have developed an onboard system and other mods to enable multi
coupling of EE and GM products.  They plan after testing to install it on
the very last higher horsepower units delivered new to Tasrail, and not on
any older or ex Queensland class 1300/ZC class units.

Having seen the operational headaches here in WA with GM and EE units not
being compatible it's very interesting to learn of this development.  As I
understand it, despite the reliability and robustness of GM units, there is
in Tasmania quite a strong loyalty attached to EE as maintenance people
there have been able to do a lot to the engines with their 40 plus years of
experience with EE.  I suspect the considerably cooler climate also helped
overcome problems that were more evident in Qld and WA with the higher
horsepower EE units that had more problems than the low/medium horsepower
units

--
Graeme Vellacott
PO Box 322