Re: [VIC] Steamrail magnet and S313 (was: Photos: my A81 paint mod, three Rs at Ballarat)

Yuri wrote:

> Look, I'm not sure that this is a magnet:  ambling around Ballarat
> East Depot I cursorily looked over the two Ts (a beautiful restoration
> by SRV by the way - congrats guys) and I thought the Steamrail
> "headboard" was a discreet blue and gold decal.  IIRC the magnet stuck
> to the side of the T on the return from Kulwin was not discreet in any
> sense of the word -- must check my archived video files to see if
> they're the same magnet, but I suspect not.

If it isn't a magnet then I call it vandalism. At least the headboards on the
steam locos and the magnets can be removed. It is a waste to put all the effort
into restoring the T's like they have if they then ruin the pain job with a
non-removable headboard. The magnet really stood out on T395 because it was a
blue magnet on an orange background. There is a photo of the magnet on T356 in
a 1998 issue of RNV and it looks the same as my photos of T364 last Sunday
(except in a different position).

On a similar note to this headboard thread, I don't like the paint job on S313
because it isn't the VR or V/Line livery. A preserved loco should be painted in
a colour scheme that was used on it in service with a commercial operator. As
it is only a temporary livery I won't really complain about it that much and I
do understand their reasons for not putting all the effort into the full VR
colour scheme if they have to destroy it in a few years when they restore the
loco properly. I think the V/Line one would have been the most appropriate
livery in this case because it's authentic and is even simpler than the one
they used. They could also advertise it as the last chance to see a V/Line S in
good condition. When they do restore S313 they probably won't paint it in the
V/Line livery ever again. Of course, National Express might object to the
repainting of a loco with their operating name on it. Unless I am asked, this
is all I will say about this loco.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: