[VIC] Steamrail magnet (was: Photos: my A81 paint mod, three Rs at Ballarat)

Yuri wrote:

> Also a couple of photos of the R700 transfer:
> 3 Ts and R700 at Navigators,
> http://www.railpage.org.au/steam4me/images/diesel/hoods/tttr7001.jpg

I'm assuming that this is the photostop. It is good to see that the magnet
was removed. Even though I don't like any sort of headboard, this magnet
is better than the headboards on the steam locos because when it is
removed there is no sign of where it goes. The headboards on the steam
locos have a mounting bracket to hold them in place and this is quite
clear even when the headboard is removed. Even when the headboard is on
the front of the diesel it doesn't stand out anywhere near as much as the
bright red and yellow headboards on the steam locos. On the R classes
there is a flat area on the front of the loco that would be ideal for
those magnets. Why can't they get rid of the headboard and use magnets on
the R classes instead? It could then be removed at photostops without any
sign of where it is supposed to go. This would be the best compromise. If
you are motorcading the train you should just accept what comes along
without complaining. Paying passengers deserve to see the train without
any Steamrail advertising. If Steamrail uses the headboard tomorrow then I
hope they remove it at photostops.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: