Re: Goodbye Overland - We All Let You Down!

Hi,

Mark Bau wrote:

> In the early 80's the Overland "could" be slow but not dirty. Uncomfortable
> is simply an opinion.

I travelled on the Overland on the weekend of the Ararat collision in November.
The dining/club car did the job (ie, served cold beer and one could re-arrange
the chairs to suit the requirements of the travelling parties), the sleeping car
was as quiet and as well appointed as ever (although no shoe shine these days!),
the staff were well presented and did their jobs well.  The track was superb in
SA (the best I've been on, the cars rode better than I thought was possible),
and the less said about Victoria's track the better!

IMHO, sleeping car trains are the only way to travel, nothing better than
kicking back in the club car, then with a comfy bed to sleep in.  It's a pity
more don't choose to enjoy the experience.  These days the focus is more on
"getting there" rather than enjoying the journey.

Cheers,
CH.
--
Craig Haber