Re: [NSW] Dorrigo (was: 6042 in south australia?)

Grahame Ferguson <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au> wrote in message
38951ecc@nap-ns1">news:38951ecc@nap-ns1...

> Craig Warton wrote in message <949125352.255926@garden.wolf.net.au>...
> >

> >James Brook wrote:
> >
> >> Is electric locomotive 4602 really appropriate for your location
> especially when
> >> there is another example in Sydney? The DSR&M is running the risk of
> collecting
> >> way too much and not actually preserving anything at all because its
> doubtful
> >> that you have the resources to maintain and look after all of what you
> >> have. Also when you are 500km's from the Brisbane (which is the nearest
> capital
> >> city) how do you hope to attract enough tourists to make a huge railway
> museum
> >> viable. Something like this might have a better chance of success if it
> was
> >> closer to Sydney.
> >>
> >> --
> >> - James Brook -

> >James,
> >
> >Using the analogy of Dorrigo preserving 4602, the NSWRTM should have a 13
> class, and
> >little else! The place is a museum and geographical location has little
> do with
> >it.
> >
> >I too wish that Dorrigo would do something, although as a non member I
will
> not be
> >critical of their efforts. However, at the same time I applaud the fact
> that one
> >group has conserved a wide variety of goods stock, coaching stock and
> private locos
> >and stock. Without their efforts there would be far less in existance,
> including the
> >only superheated 50 class, SS wagon, Steel S wagon, compo uf D
wagon..well
> I could
> >go on.
> >
> >Regarding the reporting of preservation in Digest, I am afraid the
magazine
> the
> >magaxzine reads far too much like a propaganda sheet for 3801 Ltd for me
> too take it
> >seriously.
> >
> >Craig
> >
> What many have thought over the years is how did such an 'out of the way'
> club ever get so much valuble rolling-stock and then to see it abandoned
for
> many years.
> I have been to Dorrigo and I am afraid it is the biggest rail junk yard in
> Australia and has NOT improved in the last 10 years.
>
> To raise money why not sell off some stock or spare parts to kindred
> organisations especially those interstate who can not source material due
> privatisation.
>
> I know of some clubs in Victoria who are sent begging due to the
> encroachment of Private Rail Operators.
>
> How many years will it be before another train is realistically ever to
run
> [...]
they may be able to use the line that they have to run trains and maybe if
they got enough money and support put a siding back in like the rail motor
socity and then they could run trains on the main line again
andrew