Alice to Darwin Railway > not looking so rosy.

Now we are in the final year of the 20th Century
(contrary to our dickhead media and advertising
industry) and the new millennium starts in eleven
months hence, things do not seem to be going all that
well for the new line.  People, ordinary tax paying
people like you and I are starting to ask questions.

If this is to be a "Private Enterprise" line, how come
there is so much good old tax payers money promised.?
Keep in mind folks that ALL of "our governments" are
flogging off tax payer owned assets to the private
sector most of which are based overseas, because they
are supposed to be more efficient and smart.!!!

If there is only to be one goods train per day
initially to Darwin, which will be two more than
currently running to the Alice, keeping in mind that
most of the freight arriving in Alice Springs is
transferred to Road Trains for Darwin and the RT
operators have always operated on slim margins and no
subsidy.  Who will subsidise a one train a day 3000
clicks plus railway, ....well we know who.!
(Maurie has been reminding us for some time and with
very good reason.)

We now hear that the successful bidders have not yet
secured their money and the lenders will carry out
their "study" of the proposal.

----Terry Burton