Re: Alice to Darwin Railway > not looking so rosy.

< Tell > wrote in message ...
> RT
>operators have always operated on slim margins and no
>subsidy.

They do get a subsidy, the pavement they drive on, studies have shown this -
that long distance trucking is subsidised by the shorter distance variety
and the taxpayer. In addition to this I don't see these "unsibsidised"
outfits coughing up a red cent for any capital upgrades they currently get
fro free - what they do pay may go partway to maintenance.

Even the profitable yank outfits started out with the privateers getting a
subsidy by way of land grants. I see nothing wromg with the AS to Darwin
railway starting ou this way, just beacuse it requires some public money
does not mean it should not be built.