Re: Quick quiz: Name that locomotive!

In article <914oq3$ver$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  John Dennis <jdennis@acslink.net.au> wrote:
> In article <914oh9$vbh$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   John Dennis <jdennis@acslink.net.au> wrote:
>
> > I would guess you mean an 0-6-0 diesel, although the varieties
> > running in the various states were very different.  Some were diesel
> > mechanical, some diesel-electric, others (probably) diesel-
hydraulic.

> A quick follow-up.  If the answer is indeed an 0-6-0 diesel, then the
> locomotive "type" was introduced into Australia before 1940. I know of
> at least two examples of that "type" which were delivered to 2' gauge
> tramways in Queensland in the 1930s.

Yes, this loco is an 0-6-0DM, but when I say type, I mean a specific
model/design/class.  The loco I am trying to make people think about
was built in Britain (then later examples were built in Oz), and first
introduced onto a state government railway system in 1948, ultimately
seeing about a dozen class members, all of whom were withdrawn by the
late 1980s.  But there were two or three non-government operators that
purchased identical locos for their own railways in the 50s and the
60s, and one of these was still operating in that capacity until barely
12 months ago (hence the half century of continuous commercial service).

Most of the withdrawn units were snapped up by various preservation
groups right across the country, including one group in NSW that
describes itself on its web page as the "premier preserved tourist
railway in New South Wales".  There are two preservation groups that
operate examples in Victoria, and more in Tassie and WA.

In fact Mr Dennis the loco would look very much at home at Dutton Bay!

Cheers...  James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.