Re: Quick quiz: Name that locomotive!

In article <vja53t4di99burb9d7jcus6n2mkvnu5sbt@4ax.com>,
  billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org (Bill Bolton) wrote:
> james_shugg@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > There is a locomotive type first introduced to Oz in the 1940s,
seeing
> > commercial/revenue use by at least 3 and maybe 4 separate operators
on
> > government and private lines, spanning more than half a century.
>
> That's easy... the *locomotivce type* is the B-B diesel configuration,
> introduced with the GE 44 ton model on Commonwealth Railways.

No, the CR loco was not the one I was thinking of.  More clues:  most
of this British built locomotive type (not B-B nor even Bo-Bo wheel
arrangement) were used by one government operator, but there were at
least two and maybe three private operators that also used this type of
loco in commercial service, one of them right up until last year.

> > Most of the class still exist, and can be found operating in 4
different
> > states on various gauges.
>
> No fair... it's either a "locomotive type" or specific class, you
> can't have it both ways.

As said, members of the class (or type/model) can still be found
operating in four different states, but in preservation/tourist
service, on various gauges.

Come on, think, it's Very easy. And it's not a trick question, this
really is a Versatile loco we're talking about.

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.