Re: Did anyone know?

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 13:01:20 +1300, David McLoughlin
<davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz> wrote:

>Brown Family wrote:
>
>> As far as I can tell, no new suburban passenger branch line has been
>> built since 1888 when the Altona branch line was opened. since then,
>> all we have had are either extensions to existing lines or the
>> construction of "goods-only" lines. Had the Doncaster line been built,
>> it would have been the first new passenger carrying branch line in
>> over a hundred years.
>

>Glen Waverly. Glen Waverly. Glen Waverly.

Yes, I know of Glen Waverley. It was never built as a branch line but
as a continuation of the line from Darling station. The line from
Darling to Waverley Road was closed in December, 1895, 35 years before
Glen Waverley opened, and the track lifted between 1936 and 1940, some
6 to 10 years after the Glen Waverley line was opened. There never a
junction at Darling station to the best of my knowledge.

Les Brown