Re: [Melb] Old railway line

Ben <smithb@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
3a27f1a7@news.alphalink.com.au">news:3a27f1a7@news.alphalink.com.au...
> "Adam Dunning" <adamdunning@start.com.au> wrote in message

>> I also think that a section of track which includes
>> Fairfield was part of the outtercircle line (or at least
>> the (now/past) branch line to AP Fairfield (which has now
>> been pulled up) and the bridge over the river behind the
>> mill (part of Chandler Highway).  This part (the branch)
>> was electrified because the E class electrics were used
>> here.

> The section to AP (now AMCOR) is still there but is very
> over grown and it was disconnected from the mainline
> earlier in the year.

> The last time it was used was for stabling the machinery
> used for the re-sleepering on the Hurstbridge line which
> occured in about Feb/March, the same time that the branch
> was disconnected.

Actually the last time the points at Fairfield were used was a few
years ago, when they terminated up sparks there during an occo.
The rodding from the box to the crossover under the road was
unusable, so for the duration of the occo the points and plunger
were worked from a pair of small point levers temporarily planted
on the down side of the road.

When the track machines were stabled on that track last time, they
used their 'lift in bolt together portable track' to get onto the
siding, as the points & crossover had by then been lifted.

--
B.

Email - gunzel412 at dingoblue dot net dot au
ICQ#  - eight two three two nine seven three four
Phone - long, long, short, long.