Re: [Melb] Old railway line

"B." <gunzel412@dingoblue.gunzel.net.au> wrote in message
3a276844$0$19429$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a276844$0$19429$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> Ben <smithb@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
> 3a27f1a7@news.alphalink.com.au">news:3a27f1a7@news.alphalink.com.au...
> > "Adam Dunning" <adamdunning@start.com.au> wrote in message
>
> >> I also think that a section of track which includes
> >> Fairfield was part of the outtercircle line (or at least
> >> the (now/past) branch line to AP Fairfield (which has now
> >> been pulled up) and the bridge over the river behind the
> >> mill (part of Chandler Highway).  This part (the branch)
> >> was electrified because the E class electrics were used
> >> here.
>
> > The section to AP (now AMCOR) is still there but is very
> > over grown and it was disconnected from the mainline
> > earlier in the year.
>
> > The last time it was used was for stabling the machinery
> > used for the re-sleepering on the Hurstbridge line which
> > occured in about Feb/March, the same time that the branch
> > was disconnected.
>
> Actually the last time the points at Fairfield were used was a few
> years ago, when they terminated up sparks there during an occo.
> The rodding from the box to the crossover under the road was
> unusable, so for the duration of the occo the points and plunger
> were worked from a pair of small point levers temporarily planted
> on the down side of the road.
>
> When the track machines were stabled on that track last time, they
> used their 'lift in bolt together portable track' to get onto the
> siding, as the points & crossover had by then been lifted.

You're right about the protable track, I should have mentioned that. But I
am sure that the points were remooved at about the time they used the siding
to store the track machines, because I always remember hearing the points
there, and then one day they just vanished.

I do not doubt that the last time the "points" were used was when you said.
I can remeber the point levers too.

Thanks,

Ben Smith