Re: [QLD] 3'6" siding removed at Salisbury

Colin Weaver <weaver@powerup.com.au> wrote in message
39A7406B.32175F14@powerup.com.au">news:39A7406B.32175F14@powerup.com.au...
> During the week, I noticed that the 3'6" former Comeng siding at
> Salisbury (near Nyanda) has been removed.  Except for the Railway PDE
> level crossing, the rails have been removed back toward Rocklea, just
> beyond the point where the overhead wiring finishes.

This siding has been gone for a few years now.

(Why was the first
> section of this siding wired anyway?).

Because the siding went into the Comeng/EDI plant where the QR 3100 and 3200
class electric coal locomotives were manufactured. The first part of the
siding was wired so that the loco's could be put on power BEFORE going on to
the main line. A shunt tractor was used to push the loco's out to Rocklea
under the wires.

After Comeng /EDI closed, this siding was (and still is) used to turn EMU's
back from Rocklea in emergency and 'bury' loco's going out to Acacia Ridge
when they were not ready to accept them. Of course, nowadays, Acacia Ridge
has their own loco depot, so 'burying' loco's at Rocklea is rare these days.

> The standard guage siding remains intact, and judging by the shine on
> the rails may still see intermittent use.  I have no idea what this
> siding is used for.

The SG part is now called "Pradella" siding. It is shunted by NRC several
times a week. If memory serves correctly, there is a container loading
facility there.

--
Matt Smith

Brisbane, Australia.

Notice - The text included in this post is copyright to the author. The
views expressed by the author do not reflect the official view of QR.