Re: [VIC] 2006 Commonwealth Games & Hitachis

> What I would like to see is a few more lines build to cope with the
> demand example Rowville,Airport (maybe Doncaster?) lines some extra
> tram lines and VHST to Sydney, electrifrication extension to Melton,
> Sunbury and hopefully some sort of traditional loco haul sleeper train
> service to Sydney and Brisbane . There has been some stories about
> Hitachis are expensive to refurbish and unpopular to passengers. Maybe
> keeping them for peak hour traffic only ?

Why not add my favourite hobby horses to that list:
* Outer Circle Railway rebuilt in full. Doesn't need to be double track
all the way, maybe single line from Fairfield to East Camberwell  with
one crossing loop (although the logical place for it would be in part of
the tunnel needed to go through Kew!), the existing double track from
East Camberwell to Ashburton, single track from Ashburton to Oakleigh
with maybe a deviation (another expensive tunnel) via Chadstone to
serve the shopping centre (huge traffic generator, largest shopping
centre in Melbourne with huge car parks and ordinary bus services,
albeit with a lot of different routes). Would serve the large traffic
generators of Kew schools and Chadstone Shopping Centre.

* Some sort of fast transit along the Western Ring Road alignment (bus
with potential to upgrade to light rail) with deviations to traffic
generators such as Airport and Broadmeadows and connections with major
transport links such as Greensborough Station, Keon Park (or maybe a new
station-bit 50/50), Broadmeadows line, St Albans line, potential link to
Melton line if it ever gets a decent rail service or electrification and
any others. I doubt it would get a lot of use to start with, but with
suitable marketing has potential given the large number of industries
along there and the large catchment of many of them (I knew someone who
lived in Greensborough and worked at Caterpillar who could potentially
have used it, and I know someone in Watsonia who works in Keilor who
could use it too). Especially with intelligent links (eg decent Upfield
service for Ford factory workers). However I would settle for a
realistic 560 bus timetable with an extension at this stage.

* A revival of a Metbus type plan with frequent trunk routes including
late at night.

Equally likely:

* Livestock trains to Mansfield
* Two Overland services daily using fast modern rollingstock on high
quality track.
* <hijack> Cityrail to remain in public ownership and be a high quality
transport provider with most trains clean, reliable and on time.
</hijack>
* Did I mention the livestock specials...

--
Michael Walker
Email: wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/