Re: [VIC] 2006 Commonwealth Games & Hitachis

Railway Rasputin3 wrote:

> In article <39a4dd30@news.iprimus.com.au>,
>   "Steve" <hursteau@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >          With the Olypics rapidly approaching in Sydney, it occured
> to me
> > that Melbourne will also have to cope with increased public transport
> demand
> > for the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
> >
> >     If the new trains are going to be running by then, does this mean
> that
> > the Hitachi sets' lives could be extended to provide additional
> rolling
> > stock during the games?
> >
> > something to ponder...
> >
> > regards,
>
> What I would like to see is a few more lines build to cope with the
> demand example Rowville,Airport (maybe Doncaster?) lines some extra
> tram lines and VHST to Sydney, electrifrication extension to Melton,
> Sunbury and hopefully some sort of traditional loco haul sleeper train
> service to Sydney and Brisbane . There has been some stories about
> Hitachis are expensive to refurbish and unpopular to passengers. Maybe
> keeping them for peak hour traffic only ?

Hitachi sets certainly unpopular for one of my customers.  A month or two
ago, a customer phoned, before she left home, want to know whether her
train will be a Hitachi (or "freezer" in her word), because Hitachi has
been used for that particular service she catches every morning for a week
or two.  The train is not due for another hour, therefore I wouldn't know.
Anyway, she got her wish - a "freezer"!!

Railvic