Re: Guard announcements

"Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> writes:

>and also many misinformed guards too, don't know the stations on the line they're travelling!

If you have been through an extremely short training program, then been with
a trainer guard for the minimum time, would you off the top of your head the
order of stations on every line in the Sydney metropolitan area? 8-)

I've been on the trains for over 10 years, and there are still some lines in
the metrop where I can't tell you exactly what the station order is because
I almost never work trains over them.

>had a rather dopey guard today, could tell by her accent that she could
>have arrived australia only a short while ago (i.e. new arrival). train
>travelling down main north, and after thornleigh she yelled "hornsby next
>stop all out or change"..

Simple errors of judgement which are the result of both poor staff selection
(subject to EEO 'filters' as I like to call them), and poor training
programs.

You'd be surprised how many new guard (and drivers too) who cannot interpret
working timetables correctly. In a way it's not surprising because they are
not laid out in a simple fashion like the public timetables. It takes some
time to get used to looking in up to handfull of different sections just to
follow your train through a single run and work out the stopping pattern,
running times, etc..

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport