Re: Murray Resturant

In article <H6hO4.8$w64.22138@news0.optus.net.au>,
  "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> "James C." <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> 8ec5fo$rg4$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8ec5fo$rg4$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>
> > The Murray Resturant invite all the passengers and
relatives/friends to
> > dinging regardless of class, as long as they travel by Overland or
> > Sydney Express.
>
> Not true, I dined on it a few times when I was not travellin (just
happened
> to be in the vicinity).
ooohh what the heck...they happy to do extra business with anyone. I
know a few people who were there to catch V/line service.

> > I remember there was a time Sydney/melbourne express was without
> > a dining service beacuse of cost but were return due to demand.
>
> Don't recall this. The RMS dinigncar was transferred straight from the
> Southern Aurora to the SEX/MEX.

It was for a very short period of time in 1988(IIRC), buffet service
for both First class sleeper and sitter(first and economic class) last
about 2 weeks,  both V/line and Countrylink recieve heaps of complaints.

> > While
> > Sydney/Melbourne Express wasn't a marvelous train and Overland was
and
> > still is not a premere train, at least the passengers back then can
> > enjoy nice cooked meal on board and comfort environment of the
lounge
> > car(whole train ready for board at 7pm. What can XPT and Overland
> > passengers these days do before departure other then sit in the
fully
> > pacted, filthy waiting room in Spencer street station, I wondered if
> > they can find a good restaurant near Spencer street.
>
> They don't even have a bar at Spencer St that is open decent hours
>any more.
Fish and chips/potato cake and some lousy sandwich.

> AND the pub across the road is no more. No way at all to help you to
sleep
> on the train. :-)
>
> Dave
Spencer Street end of Melbourne is dyinging, hopefully dockland
redevelopment and the refurbisment of Spencer street would help.

--
Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/