Re: Motorcaders (was: 3801/30 to ararat)

Greg Triplett wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> > As for other experiences while motorcading....... <
>
> Best solution is to stick to regular trains with no crowds.
>
> That's what I usually do or if I shoot a steam trip I go out
> and shoot one spot and go home.
>
> Waiting for trains in one spot is relaxing. Motorcading is
> stressful so I don't do it very often.

Most of the time I'm ususally on the steam trip :-) but when I motorcade
a train, I usually plan the day before I leave home. Photostops and
crosses are easy ways to get in front of the train and I usually have
about 10 to 20 minutes to wait at a location before it arrives.
Yesterday I motorcaded the returning Millennium Aurora to Albury. I went
to Beveridge in the morning and then moved on to Tallarook, using the
photostop at Kilmore East to get in front of the train. After this I
planned to get a shot leaving Seymour and then at Seymour Loop, but as
the cross was at Broadford instead of Seymour Loop, I just went to
Seymour Loop instead. After this, most of the gunzels raced down the
freeway at speeds of at least 120kph but I just planned to go to either
Violet Town or the nearest cross north of Violet Town. This ended up
occuring at Glenrowan. Unlike the gunzels I try to get quality, not
quantity. By planning your day, you can have a rather stress-free chase.
At all of the locations yesterday, I had plenty of time to set up my
equipment and get good photos.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: